Understanding your market is critical to success in a world of constant disruption. Gathering market intelligence, the first step in my seven-step framework for creating an association strategy, must be a continuous process if you are going to stay ahead of a continuously changing business landscape.
Your market intelligence should focus on three key areas:
- Your own business model
- The sector or profession that your association represents
- Member circumstances and experience
There are five critical activities for gathering market intelligence including:
- Connecting with thought leaders
- Scanning the popular press
- Scanning new sources
- An internet search of key market issues.
- Identifying and mining your competitors’ services and assets
To learn more about gathering market intelligence and the other six steps to creating a framework for association strategy, download my report The Core of Association Strategy.